Friday 4 September 2015

A Special Note from Noreen from Miri,Sarawak

Dear Donors,
My name is Noreen Mundun AK Baji, and I’m a 17-year-old student from Kampung Baram in Miri, Sarawak who will be sitting for the SPM later this year. While I’m nervous about the exams, I’m so thankful to be able to take them this year because just two years ago I was frequently blacking out in class and could barely concentrate on school work. I later found out it was because I had Burkitt Lymphoma Stage 3, a rare form of lymphatic cancer. My whole world fell apart and my future looked bleak.
I’m the youngest child among four siblings. My 68-year-old father is retired and suffers from high blood pressure while my mother works as a cleaner. Our life is simple but we want for nothing. However, the costs of treatment took a toll on us financially. Our household income was insufficient to cover my medical expenses. My parents were already at their wit’s end when MAKNA came into the picture.
MAKNA provided my family with monthly financial assistance after I had surgery to remove the tumour and underwent chemotherapy in Kuching. The funds help alleviate our financial burden by covering the high transportation costs of my frequent trips to Hospital Miri for follow-up treatment. MAKNA even came to visit me; they wanted to make sure that I was well, and to find out if I was in need of further assistance.
Now, I can go back to focusing on my studies and to look forward to the future. But I will never forget the tough times I endured as a cancer patient and more importantly, all the kind people who helped me get through it.
I’m most grateful to donors like you who make it possible for MAKNA to help people like me. Without your generous support, I may not be here writing this letter to you. From the bottom of my heart, please accept my sincere thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment