The MAKNA Cancer Centre (Institut Kanser MAKNA), established in 1999 in collaboration with PPUKM (Pusat Perubatan Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia), provides comprehensive and state-of-the-art facilities to cancer patients of all financial backgrounds. Read on to find out more about this service that MAKNA provides and some of the milestones achieved by PPUKM-IKM.
1. PPUKM-IKM, otherwise known as Wad Onkologi Tengku Ampuan Afzan, is fully staffed by MAKNA.
2. MAKNA allocates up to RM3 million a year for the operations and maintenance of PPUKM-IKM.
3. It is made up of two wards i.e. an oncology ward and a stem cell transplant ward.
4. The oncology ward treated 15,747 patients in 2014 alone. The types of treatment offered include:
• Concurrent Treatment (Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy)
• Brachytherapy (Internal Radiotherapy)
• Palliative Care
5. Since its beginning in 1999, over 3,000 patients have received consultation and 24 patients went through the procedure at the stem cell transplant ward.